Tuesday, September 26

Phone holder with Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts

Today I thought I would take the opportunity to experiment a little and try something different from what I normally do. I decided to create this phone holder for my son. For this I had to abandon the traditional "pretty" style I am used to and go with something a bit more grungy and industrial.



I began with the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts phone/tablet holder. It comes in three pieces which easily slot together giving a very sturdy base.






I covered my piece in black gesso. I also used a Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Steampunk border piece and a  rectangular frame called Mikayla which will be coming soon to the store






I wanted the frame to be the backboard for the phone when in place. I also wanted it to stand out from the other black chipboard pieces,  so I opted instead for more of a rust effect. To achieve this, I applied layers of red and orange Silks paint (sparingly), then swiped some copper 3D stamp paint with my finger and heat set. I then added some Metallic Melts embossing powders. I found the heat setting between layers really enhanced the look by helping to blend my colors together.







Meanwhile I applied some patterned paper to the back of the phone holder, and embellished the front panel with a ruler sticker, and some circular sticker pieces. I painted my Steampunk Border piece in black gesso, and cut into three smaller sections, with one going on the front panel as shown.







I also applied some black crackle paint to the visible sections of the base.







I cut a journaling tag from patterned paper and adhered to the back of the frame with foam dots before adhering to the back panel of the holder.







I then added my remaining Steampunk Border pieces to either side of the frame, and added some additional metal embellishments in behind. Black glass glitter was also applied in various spots across the project for extra dimension.





Here you can see how the embellishments frame the phone while in use. The phone will also securely sit sideways to expose the charging port.

























Gypsy Soul Laser Cut supplies used:

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Phone Holder

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Steampunk Border

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Rectangular Frame, Mikayla (coming soon)



Other Supplies:

Kaisercraft Story Book paper collection and stickers

Metallic Melts embossing powders

Dina Wakley Media Black Gesso

Ranger crackle paint

Finnabair glass glitter

Silks paint: Ginger peach and Spicy tomato

3D stamp paint: Copper

Foam Dots

Metal embellishments and buttons
Save

No comments: